Sunday, August 3, 2008

Different Colours of Friendship


Hi everyone...

This is my first blog entry. Today happens to be Friendship day... So wishing everyone Happy Friendship day first... I thought of spending my time with friends today, but had to put off the idea...and I don't regret it. I had a different experience today...

A few days back I volunteered myself to teach some under-privileged students and today was my first day with them. I did not know what to expect, but when I saw them I was moved. I was welcomed by the head of the NGO there and he took me the actual study place. There were about 10-15 people in a small room, both children and grown-ups. They welcomed with a very enthusiastic "Good Afternoon Ma'am". Then one by one they introduced themselves. Some of the names I remember are Vignesh, Raja, Preeti, Selvi, Naveen, Selvaraghavan, Chandru... Then I was briefed about the undertakings of the NGO. The grown ups had a different tale to tell. They were all drop-outs who left studying due to lack of interest. Now, they had realized their mistake and they want to rectify themselves. There were queries about how to speak English fluently, how to avoid spelling mistakes and the like. This is one part of the story...

After few minutes of my arrival, I was offered fruit drink. After some hesitation (due to good manners taught by our parents), I finally accepted the drink. The head of the NGO had been working for about 25 years in the place and made some tremendous improvements and rehabilitation there. He was in good rapport with the people around there. When he was offered the fruit drink, he did not accept it and gave it to a child. What touched me most was that, he did not drink it all by himself, instead he shared it(about half a glass of fruit-drink) with all his friends(the entire class), and then had just a small pint to himself. I was embarrassed. I saw the true meaning of Friendship there...

On my way back I reflected upon my experience. Friendship as most of us know is hanging out with friends, taking pictures together and most importantly helping them through thick and thin. Joy for us is when we receive those birthday gifts, have birthday parties...But today I saw the joy of the entire class in sharing those tiny and not so important pleasures of life. Though they can not afford to live a normal life, they live their life to the fullest. Hats off to them...

With this memorable experience I am signing off with this cute Greeting card



No comments: